Marketing… this keyword really means a lot to me: it was my interest in the university from 2000 to 2006. And later on, I’ve searched all kind of jobs with that keyword. And finally, I insert it in my job description since 2008 when I started working for the first time with a startup.
I’ve chosen a lot of books in the last 13years focused on this discipline and what I understood is that marketing is always growing and changing – thanks to new technology and approaches – and maybe that’s why I like it very much > because marketing is always changing as life!
Shortlist of things that I learned
- if you understand what is REALLY important in your business and how to prioritize tasks and project you are on the right path – take a look at my post on the “Eisenhower’s Urgent/Important Principle“
- you have to mix flexibility with strategy and that the TEAM is THE thing that matter!
- my motto at work is “Perfect is the enemy of good” or more literally “the best is the enemy of the good” (from an Italian proverb in his Dictionnaire philosophique in 1770: “Il meglio è l’inimico del bene“)
- if you love what you do you have understood the secret of life! So, enjoy life and think that work is just a part of it …
- and last but not least: do not overthink about problems and try to focus on solutions, even if they seem strange (it’s just because they are new for you!!): I’ve learned more from mistakes by the way 😉
So, Dear colleagues marketers let’s improve our knowledge and make business growth – with a lot of creativity, but more important KPIs and data!